LOCATION Phoenix, Arizona
William A. Richards
Bill’s 20 plus years of trial practice have developed an expertise in successfully managing large and complex litigation matters ranging from class action constitutional claims to lender liability and securities claims. In 2011, Bill returned to private practice with a focus on commercial and financial litigation, securities industry disputes, non-compete cases, civil rights cases, and administrative proceedings. Joining Member Alan Baskin’s established practice, the firm became Bade Baskin Richards PLC in 2012, as Bill continued to represent a wide variety of private businesses and individuals, as well as government entities and officials, in litigation ranging from complex commercial, securities and employment cases to public procurement and civil rights disputes. Alan and Bill commenced their practice as Baskin Richards PLC in November, 2013, where Bill continues to bring his considerable depth of litigation experience to private and government clients alike.
Prior to his return to private practice, Bill served as Senior Litigation Counsel for the Civil Division of the Arizona Attorney General’s Office between 2005 and 2010. There, Bill acted as lead trial and appellate counsel for much of the State of Arizona’s largest and most sophisticated civil litigation. His cases often involved millions, hundreds of millions, or even over a billion dollars in potential impact to his clients. They included constitutional challenges to state financing of education programs, constitutional and statutory challenges to state budget legislation, and defense of civil rights actions arising out of government forfeiture proceedings and government employment disputes. Bill also has extensive experience in public procurement disputes and also offers unique skills in protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights and litigating non-compete cases.
For his work, Bill was recognized by the Conference of Western Attorneys General as the recipient of the prestigious Jim Jones Public Service Award for 2010. Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard also honored Bill as the leader of the Attorney General’s Outstanding Trial Team for 2008.
During his tenure as Senior Litigation Counsel Bill also served as lead counsel for briefing and argument in appellate proceedings, completing appellate arguments before the U.S Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Supreme Court of Arizona, Supreme Court of Utah and Arizona Court of Appeals (Divisions I and II).
Prior to joining the Attorney General’s Office, Bill spent 11 years at the Phoenix law firm of Ryley Carlock and Applewhite. At the time of his departure he was a shareholder and member of the firm’s management committee. Bill’s trial practice at the firm emphasized complex commercial litigation including securities industry disputes, enforcement of trade secret and intellectual property rights, employment-related claims, lender liability defense, and commercial tort claims. He also litigated government contract disputes, civil rights claims against public entities, and administrative law matters.
Immediately after he graduated from law school, Bill spent 3 years as an Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps attorney in the Army Corps of Engineers’ Chief Counsel’s Honors Program where he assumed lead counsel responsibilities for government procurement litigation before the General Services Board of Contract Appeals and the U.S. General Accounting Office. He then spent several additional years as an Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps reserve officer.
Bill has extensive appellate experience, and has argued before the Supreme Court of Arizona, the Supreme Court of Utah, the Supreme Court of Nevada, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the Arizona Court of Appeals.
Finally, Bill has substantial experience in mediating civil disputes and serves as a private mediator.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Government Administrative/Civil Rights Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Employment and Employee Benefits Litigation
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Enforcement of Non-Compete Agreements
- Government Procurement Litigation
- General Advice to Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
- Employment Disputes
- Mediation/Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Arizona, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- J.D. (Magna Cum Laude) – 1990
- The Judge Advocate General’s School U.S. Army, Charlottesville, Virginia – 1991
- Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona
- B.S. – 1987
- Major: Speech Communication
- Mayer Unified Sch. Dist. v. Winkleman, 219 Ariz. 562, 201 P.3d 523 (Arizona Supreme Court 2009)
- Arpaio v. Maricopa County Bd. of Supervisors, 225 Ariz. 358, 238 P.3d 626 (Arizona Court of Appeals 2010)
- Regular presenter of continuing legal education programs for the Office of the Arizona Attorney General
- Former adjunct faculty – Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University
- Nat’l Assoc. of Attorneys General Trial Skills Training, Nat’l Assoc. of Attorneys General, 2005 – 2006
Honors and Awards
- Conference of Western Attorneys General Jim Jones Public Service Award, 2010
- Arizona Attorney General’s Outstanding Trial Team, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Admitted to Arizona Bar
- Admitted to Practice Before the Supreme Court of the United States;
- Admitted to Practice Before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit;
- Admitted to Colorado Bar, currently inactive
Pro Bono/Public Service Activities
- Judge Pro Tempore, Maricopa County Supreme Court, 2005 – 2010; 2012 – present
- Member, Board of Directors, Home ‘Fur’ Good Animal Rescue & Placement, Phoenix, Arizona
- Mediator for commercial litigation, contract, tort, employment, civil rights or securities disputes
Past Employment Positions
- Arizona Attorney General’s Office, Senior Litigation Counsel, 2005 – 2010
- Ryley, Carlock & Applewhite, Litigation Associate/Shareholder, 1994 – 2004
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Office of the Chief Counsel, 1991-1993
- Bade & Baskin, Member, 2011
- Bade Baskin Richards PLC, Member, 2012-2013