Online Reputation Management
The Internet, especially mass communication opportunities offered by social media outlets, has extended your ability to communicate exponentially. That means, however, that statements you or your business make, or that are made about you, may reach tens of thousands of eyes and ears and may be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to control or retract. At the same time, free speech rights are both central to our federal and state constitutions, and are critical to things like product comparison and consumer protection that both fuel and strengthen our economy. The stakes have never been higher for protecting your First Amendment rights to speak freely about subjects, persons or businesses that are important to you without the risk of facing a libel, slander or defamation lawsuit, and for protecting yourself and your business when someone else’s speech goes too far and threatens harm to you. Stakes that high justify employing experienced and diligent legal help like the business lawyers at Baskin Richards.
Our law firm offers the kind of experience and commitment that can help you effectively address libel, slander, or defamation risks arising from:
- Assertions made about the practices or products of a business;
- Statements made about people or businesses in news reports, newsletters, or business advertisements;
- Assertions made about a financial planning or wealth management business, or about an investment opportunity;
- Statements made about a business on an Internet review site, such as a restaurant, hotel, product, business or other review site;
- Spreading of confidential or derogatory information by a former employee of a business;
- Statements included in employee evaluations or references;
- Statements made for or against a public official or candidate for elected office; and
- Postings of damaging or private photos or videos on a website;
These are a very small sample of the type of circumstances in which defamation issues might arise. Whether these or other situations require demand letters or litigation, our attorneys can offer the type of experienced and practical service you need to protect yourself and your business.